AddThis

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

From January 24, 2014

With the exception of a few makeup tests, the first semester is completely behind us.  I want to say thank you to all of you that worked really hard to make Greene Central a great place to work and learn.  I have heard from many of you this semester that have seen a positive change in our school and in student and teacher relationships.  It definitely seems that we have many of the students "hooked" now.  So the question is, what can we do with them?  This semester I plan on pushing you on how we deliver instruction at Greene Central.  Many of you have already spoken to me about changing some things this semester in response to how students responded last semester and I think you are on the right track.

When I coached, I used the story of Terry Fox (watch this link for a short video on his story) to illustrate the idea of what you can accomplish if you throw out all of the excuses.  Terry was a teenager that lost his leg to bone cancer and decided to run across Canada with a prosthetic limb to raise money for cancer research.  While Terry's story is amazing because of the physical barriers that he had to overcome, there are many people that do what Terry did everyday.  They ignore the reasons why they "can't" do what others may see as impossible.  This semester, focus on what you could do if there were no reasons why you couldn't.  Communicate that desire to your students as the leader in the classroom.  Several of you have already told me about some of your "crazy" ideas and I love them! Have a great weekend and come back ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment