AddThis

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

From January 30, 2015

I'm guilty. I depend on my phone WAY too much. It has been a topic in my household recently because my wife and I both realize that we are glued to our phones because of our jobs. Just this week Ms. Smith called me out on it. "I can't talk to you for more than five minutes without you having to look at your phone," she said. She's right. To be honest, I'm not sure how principals did their jobs before smartphones, email and other mobile devices. Then again...I guess it's what you get accustomed to.  I find it humorous that Ms. Smith called me out because of how much attention the English department has been giving to cell phones this week. (I guess I'm as bad as the kids...maybe worse!)  I have seen the teachers standing at their doors at the start of class with a bucket to place phones in when students arrive.  Students are asked to place their phones in the bucket. Most do, but they don't really have to.  The deal is that the bucket keeps it from being a temptation. If they choose not to use it then all of the responsibility is on the student. No warnings. My only feedback to the English teachers I saw doing this was that they had to keep it up religiously. If they do, it will work 100% of the time.

Consistency matters to people. When we see someone that is supposed to enforce a rule as inconsistent, we see an opportunity to break it ourselves. Inconsistency gives implied permission. I'm certain that everyone covered classroom expectations this week with each class. The trick now is to be consistent with whatever was stated.  Students will break those expectations from time to time and when they do, you have to address it. It's not a fight or a battle of wills. You simply expect more from them than they are giving, and that's not acceptable. Calling a student out can be polite, low stress and still impactful. When it is done right, it's a true thing of beauty. Seek consistency this semester and evaluate it often. It may be tough, but it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment