AddThis

Friday, September 16, 2016

Single Parent Households

For most of this week I have been a single parent. My wife took a promotion this summer and I'm tremendously proud of her. She's worked very hard and deserves it. It has brought about some changes in our home and for the first time, I'm feeling what it is like to be a single parent. Erika has been in California on a recruiting trip and I have been making lunches, checking all of the homework, getting the girls ready and putting them to bed each day. I have had the help of my parents a few times to make everything work, but I can tell you that it has been difficult.  The competition for attention between my children and my job has left both coming up a little short in a few areas.

While my wife's absence this week has made me appreciate her, it has also made me understand what many of our student's parents go through as well. 34% of today's students come from single parent households. That is a huge change from 19% in 1980 and just 9% in 1960. Some of you are a part of these statistics (and I sincerely applaud you for making it work).  I write about this, because it is another aspect for us to understand as we seek to connect with our student's families. Connecting with these parents can be challenging enough at times, but connecting with those that are managing life and a family on their own can sometimes be impossible.

This is probably the week when many of you have started making calls home about behavior or academics. As I do every year, I encourage you to try to make a positive call home as your first connection. Est
ablishing a rapport with a parent can be a bright spot in their day and can also help make it easier when you need their support later, especially if they have a lot of competition for their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment