AddThis

Friday, September 30, 2016

It's OK to Learn to Struggle

Some weeks I find myself bogged down in the management of the school and I don't get an opportunity to speak with someone, or read something that inspires my writing. Then there are weeks like this one where I have been overwhelmed with topics. Despite a myriad of ideas on education and where our school is going, I felt the need to write about seeing people struggle. Early in the week, I went to leave and I saw Rebecca Burris and Rachel Spooner helping Luci Sanchez change a flat tire. I did the gentlemanly thing and asked if they needed help. I was quickly hit with a response I did not expect. These ladies were quick to tell me that they did not need any help! They handled it on their own. It took a little struggling, but they got it. 

Later in the week, Coach Fulghum had arthroscopic surgery on his knee. Coach usually unlocks the building each morning, so on Thursday I rode out before 6:00 am to unlock the building, thinking that he he would be on the mend for a few days. At the front door I was met by Coach Fulghum. Less than 24 hours after his surgery, he had walked across the street to the school and had unlocked the doors as usual. He said that the doctor had told him to walk as soon as possible, so he got up and started walking. He may not have been as fast, but he struggled through.
When you're struggling through something, it feels bad. You want to get it over with, complete the task, or get better. But struggling can tell you a lot about yourself. It shows how willing you are to persevere or how quickly you will quit. We have to start teaching students that it is ok to struggle. Struggling makes us stronger and better the next time. It is perhaps our greatest teacher, because we are not quick to forget how we got through. Every day we see students give up. They don't understand a question, or didn't pay attention to directions, or just can't grasp a concept. Sometimes this even leads to behavior problems or dropping out of school. Coaching kids to struggle through things they do not do well initially may very well be the best thing we can teach them while they are with us. They may not use much of the content we teach each semester in their adult lives, but I can guarantee that each of them will encounter struggles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment