AddThis

Friday, October 9, 2015

Me

Last week I wrote about you. This week I'm going to write about someone else that struggles...me. This time of the year is hard for all educators, not just teachers. Balancing the many things that go on at the school day-to-day often means coming home, getting a bite to eat, working some more and passing out on the couch by 9:00. The look that I  have been coming home with finally prompted my wife to ask if I was ok. While I get that a lot from her, this time she had real meaning in her voice. I needed a dose of my own medicine. I needed a pep talk to get me back into the right frame of mind about school and about myself.

I said last week that teachers are gritty. Sometimes we are gritty to a fault. One of my mentors used to have a phrase that I have stolen from time to time. His rule was to "take care of yourself and take care of each other." Taking care of yourself sometimes means to put down the work when you get home to enjoy those few hours with friends and family. Taking care of each other sometimes just means accepting each others faults and helping each other anyway. So as I give myself advice this week, please learn from my mistake; take care of yourself and take care of each other. Without both parties, this place would fall apart pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment