AddThis

Friday, May 12, 2023

A Little Help From My Friends (Revisited)

Back in 2015, I wrote a blog post about having to run the school for a week by myself while the assistant principals (Juan Castillo and Diane Blackman back then) were away at a conference. Teachers pitched in to help in a lot of ways. They ran after school programs and even came to the rescue on a the fight that occurred after school. Their efforts reminded me of the Beatles' song, A Little Help From My Friends.  So here we are eight years later and so many of those familiar friends from back in 2015 are still doing all that they can to help me out in a time of need. I must admit that this week has been incredibly overwhelming in the best of ways. I've been tired every day but I've been incredibly supported by a staff that saw a need and decided to step up in every way that they knew how. So many of you recognized ways that you could be helpful and jumped into action. And in almost story tale fashion, all of this happened to take place during Teacher Appreciation Week. So while I know that Teacher Appreciation Week usually means that you get the predictable gifts of food and GC gear, please know that this year, more than any other, I sincerely appreciate you beyond those small gifts. I tell people everywhere that I go that the greatest thing we can ever teach is empathy. It's something that can only be taught through example when others see us practice it in our care for them or someone else. I was shown a lot of empathy this week and it has done my heart a lot of good. Thank you so much. I think I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment