AddThis

Friday, January 7, 2022

The Opposite Problem

I've taken a strong interest this year in how rural schools are managing instruction during the pandemic versus larger and more affluent schools and districts. I've mentioned in my blog posts before that I believe that in some ways we are better equipped to deal with the limitations and stressors that we are all experiencing right now. But where does that ability come from? It's not a financial advantage. It's certainly not centered around resources or close proximity to more community support. So what is it? This week I decided that it is a cultural phenomenon and the events halfway across the country told me why. 

This week, as schools across the nation, reopened from Christmas break we faced the increased challenge of a COVID surge. It's literally hitting us all right in the face. We left in December optimistic that things were getting better and that's just not the case. In Chicago, the teacher's union is deadlocked in a battle with the mayor's office over how to reopen schools. The COVID numbers there have prompted the teacher's union to call for a return to virtual learning and the mayor's office refused. As a result, teachers have refused to come into work this week. The schools have opened as places for emergency childcare, but teaching and learning are not present. As a principal, I would feel so helpless if I was there. You are torn between wanting to provide for students while empathizing with the safety of your staff. It's a lose-lose situation. 

But I don't have that problem. I have the opposite problem. Throughout his year, as I have had to send teachers home to quarantine, I get apologies. It is easy to see feelings of guilt and sometimes embarrassment at having to leave their classes to a substitute or for other teachers to cover. And while I admire their dedication, that's a problem. Unless you are a fool, none of us went out looking to be COVID positive. We didn't send our children or spouses out to contract the virus and while I'm certain that there are a few people somewhere in the world that have manipulated the quarentine rules to get some time off, I've never suspected it here. Unfortunately, no matter how hard we all try to avoid COVID impacting ourselves and our families, it is just going to find its way in sometimes. That's life right now and it's no one's fault. 

Teachers in rural schools are used to putting themselves last. We know how important we are to our students and our communities.  We know the roles that we play extend far beyond curriculum and instruction. Those feelings existed before the pandemic and were only increased as we have fought to reengage our kids. We know the importance of our work and that is why we feel guilty placing that responsibility on hold or in the hands of someone else, even temporarily. As we fight through the next few weeks of the latest COVID surge I want to combat this problem. No matter how good of a teacher you are, you are no good to students if you are sick or are distracted by the sickness of a family member. Just as each of you have stepped up to help in someone's absence, someone else will step up for you. I always had a phrase that I've asked our staff to keep in mind: "Take care of yourself, and take care of each other." The first part is just as important as the last.  

No comments:

Post a Comment