AddThis

Friday, May 14, 2021

How Things Seem

Mrs. Whitson saw me in the hallway Tuesday or Wednesday morning before school as she came to fill up her water bottle at the fountain. She asked me how I was doing and all I knew to say was, "Tired." The usual frustrations of the end of the school year along with some unique ones that seem to be beyond my ability to fix caught up with me this week. Yesterday Mrs. Batchelor told me that she was worried about me. I guess I've given off that vibe this week so if I've seemed short, I apologize. 

I generally try to be the guy that promotes being positive and looking at things from the bright side. But when you're tired and frustrated, even the best of us can fall prey to negativity. I'm not sure if you're like me, but when I get like that, I struggle to see the difference between how things seem, versus how they are. I put on blinders to the positive things around me because I focus so hard on the negative ones. 

For some reason, I started to see some of those good things yesterday. I got to hang out at our baseball game and they won in a walk-off. Scarlett Vargas finished her AP Studio Art project and I am absolutely amazed at the talent that comes from that kid. Today our tennis boys play for a chance at a state championship. Yesterday I got to see my daughter play tennis and it was a great distraction. Tomorrow night we get to have a prom again. Sometimes things seem pretty bad, but it helps to have people around you that can remind you of how things are, instead of how they seem. If you're tired or frustrated like me, take a second to see how things are, instead of how they seem. You can focus all you want on the problems, but if don't take a second to focus on the good things too, you lose your balance. Thanks to those of you that helped me find mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment