AddThis

Friday, February 26, 2021

I'm Tired

I'm tired this morning. Not the normal tired from mental fatigue that I've often experienced over the past year, but physically tired. On Thursday I arrived at school at 6:30 am to open up and prepare for the day. After school ended at 2:00, we got ready for the "second shift" with a soccer game at 4:00 and a football game at 7:30. I got home last night close to 11:00 pm. Not once in my life have I uttered the words, "I don't think my alarm clock went off" until today. I scurried out of bed quickly at 6:00 am to get ready to be right back here. I made it by 6:45 am. Several of you probably know a similar feeling this morning if you coached or helped out last night. I'm not sure if you'll share my feelings, but I can tell you that I think it's a glorious thing. 

Yesterday I got my first vaccine shot and I've never thought twice about it. I have been fascinated with the science of it and impressed with the rollout. As a history teacher, it reminds me of the civilian efforts under World War II and the science expansion of the Space Race all rolled into one. And while some people are skeptical, I personally trust the experts. Similarly, we ask parents and our community to trust us as experts with the education and welfare of their children. 

I know that many of you have either received or scheduled your first vaccine shot already this week, but if you're on the fence, I encourage you to do it. I am tired this morning, but it's a tired like I have not been able to feel in a year. It's a tired that I missed. It's a part of my life that I got back, and even if it's just a small piece, for now I'll take it. I'll sleep well this weekend for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment