AddThis

Friday, March 29, 2019

Visiting Students

It's about the time of year when graduated students visit the school. Either they are on spring break from college or they've been away long enough to miss their favorite teachers. I'll admit that while I enjoy seeing them, I sometimes think of it as a disruption when they move from teacher to teacher to say hello. Despite that, I see the smiles on their faces and on the faces of their favorite teachers, and I usually give in. That connection is something that they are proud of and maybe in some small way, they are saying thanks or enjoying showing us what they are becoming. No matter what they did or didn't do when they were with us, most do grow up into adults and contribute in some way to the world.

Then there are the other ones. The ones that lose touch or had a bad experience with school. Maybe they hated high school and were truly happy to leave. I think I can understand that over the fear I have that maybe they are not proud of what they are doing or they are ashamed of where they are. This week I learned that an old friend of mine from high school died in a drug overdose. I hadn't seen or spoken to him in years but I did keep up with his younger brother because I had coached him. Part of me had to wonder where the difference in these brothers occurred. Was their relationship with someone that wanted better for them, or lack thereof, a contributing factor in how their lives turned out? The younger brother is now a teacher and coach. He still sends me questions about drills or workouts that he does with his team. It hurt to hear the pain in his voice this week at the loss of his brother, but I was happy that I could be on the other end of the phone to check on him.

Teachers wear a lot of hats, and this week has taught me that even when your students leave you, you still play a role in their lives. They know that you expected the best from them. Some never stop trying to work for your praise and acceptance. Others need you for guidance in their lives more than they needed your lessons. Thanks to all of you that stick with students well after they are gone and well after your paycheck obligated you to give them your time and attention. In some small way, you could be saving their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment