AddThis

Friday, December 21, 2018

8 Laps

While I viewed Greene Central as my school's rival when I was in high school, I did run my last track race at Greene Central. The Rams hosted a regional championship and I qualified for the 3200m that year despite a nagging knee injury. I knew at the start of the race that it would likely be my last. Since then I have been in and out of running depending on if I had a personal goal or race in mind. Over the past couple of years I haven't been very motivated to lace my shoes up and go for a run, but lately, it has called me back. After most of the students and staff are gone for the day, I have headed back out to our track to run the 8 laps of the 3200m. It takes me about 5 minutes longer than it did when I was 18, but it has brought me a lot of inner peace and time to reflect. It's frustrating not being as fast as I once was, but I don't think it's about racing anymore.

Over the next couple of weeks, I hope that the time you have to sleep in, visit with family, share gifts and eat great food gives you the time to recharge. During your time off, take a moment to find some inner peace and reflection, especially if that's something you've put in the background like I did. What may take 8 laps for me, can be something different for you, but either way, it's an investment in yourself. When you invest in yourself, you're more valuable to everyone else. Enjoy your time off, you've all earned it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment