AddThis

Friday, December 15, 2017

Ernie's Subs

Strangely enough, the thing I miss the most about working and living in Greenville had nothing to do with my job or where I lived. I miss my frequent access to a small, cinderblock building restaurant named Ernie's Subs. Coach Willis was nice enough to bring me an Ernie's pepper steak sub this week and I was in heaven! For those of you that are not familiar with Ernie's, you have probably driven by it hundreds of times and never noticed it. The outside is nothing to look at. The restrooms are outside and remind me a lot of the men's restrooms under our press box. The only furniture inside consists of a non-matching plastic patio table and chairs. While they make several different kids of subs, but almost everyone orders the peppersteak. It is the best sandwich I have ever had and I can literally taste it as I am writing this.

While Mrs. Willis and I were enjoying our sandwiches this week, she mentioned our school was a lot like Ernie's. (She's always looking for a metaphor.) The building is old and we are a rural, low-income school. From the outside, people may not expect much. But on the inside, there is so much to love. While we have our struggles like any other place, we also have so much to be proud of. This year's senior class has already amassed over $500,000 in scholarships and we have two semi-finalists for the Park Scholarship and a semi-finalist for the Morehead-Cain Scholarship. Simply put, good things can come from small, unassuming places. Each of us is a part of the recipe that makes our school and our students what they are. You are all ingredients to student success. Over the break, please take time to rest and recharge and come back ready to put those ingredients to work.

1 comment:

  1. Good article and metaphor. Those subs are great though!

    ReplyDelete