AddThis

Friday, April 15, 2016

Salute Your Assistant Principals

This week is National Assistant Principal’s Week. For the life of me I can’t remember that being something that was recognized when I was an assistant principal. That’s probably because assistant principals are often too busy to realize that something like that exists. The job of an assistant principal is often very thankless. You work diligently to manage the day, the students and the problems that pop up, only for someone else to get the credit most of the time. And if you’re doing your job right, that’s how you want it. Our assistant principals are some real characters and they bring so much to our school with their personalities.

Mr. Castillo is one of the most passionate educators I know.  He takes student needs and goals personally and gives so much of himself to help make things happen for students that would otherwise get little or no attention. I am envious of his ability to generate relationships with families in two languages and every time I see him do it, I kick myself for not remembering more Spanish. If he is not driving a bus or opening his home to leadership meetings, he is keeping us all on our toes with the next prank he has concocted. He pushes me to push our staff to do more and for that I greatly appreciate him.

Mrs. Willis tells you like it is. She is the voice of reason and guidance for so many of our young ladies. Her broad life experiences have created an educator that is very wise beyond her years. She is my sounding board for new ideas and she is the person that checks on me to make sure that I take care of myself. Her experience growing up in a home much like so many of our students, to become an author and educator encapsulates the true definition of grit.

Mr. Simms is simply who everyone should want to be when they grow up. Every time I have a stressful day, I always remind myself that Dexter Simms has done this job much longer than I have and he is still one of the happiest people I have ever known.  He always has a smile on his face and a kind word for anyone. His positivity is infectious and his wisdom has helped me countless times.


So while we wrap up National Assistant Principal’s Week, please join me in saying thank you to the people that never really expect to get credit for so many of the things that they do each day. Without their work, our school might be a very different place to work. (And your doorknobs also might not have lotion all over them!)

2 comments: