AddThis

Friday, February 26, 2016

Arguing Over the Environment

This week my wife and I got into an argument. Ok, so it wasn't really an argument, but more of a heated discussion. She is a nurse and helps manage the children's emergency department. I am always comparing schools to other professions, and hers is often the one I pick. It all started when we got on the topic of the ED being backed up and it taking a long time for patients to be seen. Sometimes they even are seen by doctors and nurses in the hallway when all rooms are full. That just made no sense to me as a comparison. Sure these people got care, by a professional, in a timely manner according to their needs. My argument was this: Imagine if we treated children the same way. If a child came to enroll in school and we had no class below capacity in the subject they needed, would it be ok to put them in a desk in the hallway? Would it be ok if I gave them a book and had the teacher check on them? While they are receiving an education, something doesn't feel right about it. Needless to say, I would expect a heated visit from that child's parent very soon!

My wife contends that I cannot compare the two situations. The management of an emergency room and a school are just too different. Her argument is that while it is not optimal, good nurses can mitigate these issues with great communication and great care. I have to admit, from a management standpoint, I was wrong. I was focusing on the problems with infrastructure, staffing and care. What I should have been focusing on was what really matters, how the patient or child in both situation feels. Children learn when they feel wanted, appreciated and valued. Patients heal under the same conditions. Good teachers, like good nurses, make that happen no matter what the obstacles. Thinking back on it, our teachers make students welcomed and wanted when the roof leaks, AC breaks, the room is crowded or whatever life throws their way. Environment has much more to do with how you feel about what is around you than the building or space within it. So while I work on improving the environment of my own house after being overly critical, I want to encourage each of you to continue to build positive environments in your classrooms and in our school. Remember that teaching is a service industry and our clients deserve to feel great about their product.

No comments:

Post a Comment